About the Author
Mary B. Moorhead BFA, MS, MFT
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #16485
Aging and Elder Care Specialist and Consultant
Whether you are a concerned family member, trusted professional or frail elder, at times the elder care years do not go smoothly.
Often all you need is a consultation or comprehensive planning to choose the best solution for your circumstances. At other times, long-term care management services soothe your worries and enable elders to live comfortably and safely.
As an Elder Care Specialist, I offer you a choice of services that address your concerns.
Mary B. Moorhead holds a Master’s Degree in Clinical Psychology from California State University, and a Bachelor’s Degree in Art from the University of California at Berkeley. She is a trained and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (#16485). During the past 25 years, she has worked in health and social services, covering the lifespan from newborns to advanced age.
During the past 18 years, her work has focused on aging, elder care, geriatrics, medical social work, and private Geriatric Care Management. This includes medical social work in both skilled nursing facilities and home health care.
Her expertise covers: local and nationwide elder care resources, Alzheimer’s Disease, dementia, mental status assessments, depression, psychiatric illness, chronic and terminal ilness, family conflict, elder abuse and neglect, undue influence, long term care planning and care management, crisis intervention, long term care insurance, recruiting, hiring and supervising CNA’s, HHA’s, and other caregivers, and assuring appropriate standards of cargiving for the chronically and terminally ill.
As an expert witness she has supported counsel with case review, record and deposition analysis, research, and education, and has offered an opinion in cases of elder abuse, neglect, and undue influence.
For ten years, Mary wrote the bi-weekly newspaper column “On Elder Care,” for Knight Ridder and the Contra Costa Newspapers. Fluent in French, she has visited elder care facilities in France and Canada. For six years, she served as the elder care consultant to the University of California Office of the President.
- Current: Achenbach Foundation for Graphic Arts, Committee Chair and Volunteer Captain, serving the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
- Former: Chaparral House Skilled Nursing Facility, Berkeley CA.
- Former: Alzheimer’s Services of the East Bay, Berkeley CA.
- Former: Elder Abuse Prevention
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- National Association of Geriatric Care Managers
- National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
- American Geriatrics Society
- Commonwealth Club of San Francisco
- East Bay Woman’s Forum – Elder Law Attorneys and Elder Care Professionals
- Former: One Small Step – The Bay Area Work and Family Coalition
- Former: Toastmasters International
National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers